Use a Drain SnakeAre you experiencing plumbing issues in your home? It may be time to call a professional plumbing service to get the problems fixed right away before it becomes a larger issue. At Dutton Plumbing, our experienced technicians are available whether you need a leak fixed or are wondering how to use a drain snake.
Unclog Your Drain With a Snake
If you find that your drain is clogged, knowing how to use a drain snake is a very valuable skill to have. The following outlines the steps needed to snake a drain.
- Gather needed supplies. When snaking a drain, you will need to gather a few supplies. These may include:
- Closet auger or drain auger
- Rubber cleaning gloves
- Old towels
- Remove any obstructions. Before you begin, make sure you remove anything that may be blocking the drain, such as a hair trap or tub screen, and move it out of the way.
- Place the snake cable down the drain. As you push the snake into the drain, rotate the handle clockwise. You may need to use both hands on the handle if you are having trouble pushing. To feel for the clog, it is a good idea to move your hands lower on the cable, about three inches above the opening of the drain.
- Keep pushing the snake until you find the clog. Once you feel some resistance, you may have reached the obstruction. You can tell if it is the curve in the pipe or the clog if the clump starts to give way a little bit.
- Hook the clog and pull it slowly out of the drain.
A Plumber You Can Trust
Now that you know how to use a drain snake, you can unclog your drain if it becomes obstructed. For all of your other Simi Valley Region plumbing needs, contact Dutton Plumbing.